Compare CoverCover Options



Home Start Breakdown Cover

Homestart breakdown cover is an optional extra which you can add to basic roadside cover or, to roadside and recovery cover. Home Start, or more commonly referred to as 'breakdown cover at home', covers you should your vehicle refuse to start or break down at or within a quarter of a mile of your registered address. Home Start plus roadside assistance prices start at about £45 but can be double that amount. The cheapest prices tend to be for vehicle based policies, however, vehicle cover is usually limited to cars or other eligible vehicles that are less than a certain age.

  Home Start Breakdown Cover  
 CompanyRoadsideRecoveryHome StartOnward JourneyPersonal CoverVehicle CoverPrice FromOffersQuote  
 Rescue PlusYes_iconNo_iconYes_iconNo_iconNo_iconYes_iconFrom
Homestart Prices

Green Flag offer - 50% off your AA or RAC renewal quote. - For vehicles 10 years and under on our closest equivalent UK vehicle cover. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.

Green Flag rescue from £25 - 10% of customers achieve this price online.

Compare Cover

Each breakdown company offers at home cover, below are the features they all have in common.

1. Home cover extends any service you purchase to include your registered address and the quarter mile area surrounding it, which is NOT included without this option.

2. Home address is the registered address where you live or keep your vehicle as stated when you take out your breakdown policy.

3. Home Start membership means you can get help if your car won't start (One of the most common reasons breakdown services are called out is because the vehicle has a flat battery, often due to something being left on in the car over night).

Although at home breakdown cover together with breakdown assist will get you to a local garage should you need to be towed, you may wish to consider breakdown recovery if you regularly use your vehicle for longer trips or motorway driving.

Find out more about each company below.

AA Home Start

How far will the AA tow your vehicle? Home start just extends the level of cover you  purchase to include your home, so if you have roadside assistance cover you are entitled to be towed to a garage of the AA's choosing or one you choose as long as it is no further. If you have AA Relay, home start entitles you to be towed to any single UK destination.

Which vehicles are covered? As with other products the AA offers, vehicle cover is limited to cars, vans, minibuses and motorcycles that conform to the following restrictions: maximum weight 3.5 tonnes/3,500kg and maximum width 7 feet 6 inches/2.3 metres

Maximum Call Outs. AA membership offers a generous call out allocation of between 5 and 7 call outs per year, depending on what type and level of breakdown cover you take out.

What are the membership options? In most cases the cheapest breakdown cover is vehicle based cover, however, other options include single person cover, joint membership or family membership. With all of these membership types, home start cover restricts the policy to a single address.

RAC At Home Cover

How far will RAC tow your vehicle? RAC home breakdown cover will extend roadside assistance to include your home and the quarter mile surrounding your home or registered address. Should you need to be towed following a break down, the RAC will tow you to a single destination up to 10 miles away, however, the allowance for taxi fares stated in roadside cover will not apply. 

Which vehicles are covered? Together with the other products RAC offers, they limit at home cover to either a car, pickup, car derived small van, minibus, motorhome or a motorcycle, all of which must conform to the following restrictions: maximum weight 3.5 tonnes/3,500kg, maximum length 18 feet / 5.5metres, including tow bar, and maximum width 7 feet 6 inches/2.3 metres

Maximum Call Outs. RAC membership offers from 1 call out per year for single person breakdown assistance, up to an entitlement of 9 call outs for family breakdown cover with 5 or more completed years of RAC membership.

What are the membership options? RAC at home cover is available as long as you have roadside assistance and can be based on vehicle cover with any driver, or personal cover for a single driver, joint membership or family membership, where as long as the persons stated on the policy live at the same address, you would be entitled to cover in any eligible vehicle you are driving.

Green Flag Home Rescue

How far will Greenflag tow your vehicle? Green Flag home rescue cover entitles you to all the same benefits as their roadside assistance cover and simply extends cover to include breakdowns at home and within the first quarter mile of your home or registered address where you keep your vehicle. If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the road side or your home, Green Flag home cover will entitle you to have it towed to any destination of your choosing within 10 miles of the incident. 

Which vehicles are covered? Green Flag Rescue plus (at home cover) is available for either a car, light van, 4x4 off-road vehicle, motorcaravan or a motorbike, providing it is privately registered in the UK and falls within the following size and weight restrictions: maximum weight 3.5 tonnes/3,500kg, maximum width 7 feet 6 inches/2.3m, maximum length 23 feet/7m and maximum height 9 feet 10 inches/3m. Green Flag home rescue will also cover a caravan or trailer if you were towing either when the breakdown occurred, so long as they also fall within the limits above.

Maximum Call Outs. Green Flag offers a No Call Out Discount. For each call out you make your discount will be reduced by 1 year's worth. Once you have reached the maximum Green Flag Discount you will be able to make 1 call out in a 3 year period without loosing any discount.

Green Flag membership options? Green Flag have built their business based on vehicle cover, where any driver can drive a specified vehicle, this type of membership is usually the cheapest breakdown cover option, however, Green Flag offer personal cover for a single driver and may include cover for your partner or spouse. Personal membership will cover you in any eligible vehicle you are travelling in that is under 16 years old.

Payment Options.

Annual breakdown membership - most people take out a yearly membership with a one off payment, your breakdown company, RAC, AA or Greenflag, will usually renew your membership automatically unless you tell them not to.

Monthly breakdown cover membership - Both the AA and RAC offer monthly breakdown cover payments on what's called a continuous membership contract. This type of policy is an ongoing membership that continues until you cancel.


This review is independently written by Net Direct Ltd. Net Direct are not paid to write this review but receive commission for any sales they make from this review.